July 13, 2009

JULY 12 SUNDAY- The VERSAILLES


It is hard to imagine the courtyard of the Versailles crowded with gawkers, vendors, and wanna bes... and yet there are so many instances of us as Americans doing almost the same thing. In Hollywood, in New York City and via the Inquirer, the habits continue. The amount of time and preplanning to create the magnificence of the Versailles Palace is overwhelming to me. I can't get a grip on that. Then when you add the amount of money and time in creation, it definitely does need to be still enjoyed by many people world wide. The gilded walls, furniture, and accoutrements was really pretty phenomenal.
As many others stated, the crowdedness of the summer throng made it very hard to enjoy. I have lots of pictures of ceilings and upper walls.
After returning to Paris, I instant messaged one of my former students on Facebook. She gave me hints of places that would be open on Sunday. So I left our District 4 and travelled across the Road to District 3- to discover the free Museum, Cartelet- a family park named Louis XIII, an opera miming transvestite performer and a shop where Claudio sold vintage clothing and shoes dating back to the 1930's. I would love to have gone upstairs to look at 1930's dresses, but acknowledged that 500 to 1000 Euros was not in my budget, so settled for conversation instead. My wanderings in that neighborhood were so much fun!
Then on the way home I ran into Nate, Stephanie, Michele and Joanna on their way back. I saw the poster advertisements for movies and could not resist making this my picture to post with this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mini Bio

My photo
Davie, Florida, United States
William T. McFatter Technical Center Media Center wants you to visit!